By Richard Gray
- The such a lot accomplished and up to date background of yankee literature on hand today
- Covers fiction, poetry, drama, and non-fiction, in addition to other kinds of literature together with folktale, spirituals, the detective tale, the mystery, and technological know-how fiction
- Explores the plural personality of yank literature, together with the contributions made via African American, local American, Hispanic and Asian American writers
- Considers how our figuring out of yankee literature has replaced over the past?thirty years
- Situates American literature within the contexts of yank heritage, politics and society
- Offers a useful creation to American literature for college kids in any respect degrees, educational and common readers
Read or Download A History of American Literature PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2007 within the topic English - Literature, Works, grade: 1,3, collage of Heidelberg (Anglistisches Seminar), direction: playstation II Literaturwissenschaft - Shaws Frühe Dramen, language: English, summary: This essay shall target at portraying Shaw’s Fabian idea and morality in his early performs, i.
Alexander Pope was once the best poet of his age and the dominant impression on eighteenth-century British poetry. His huge oeuvre, written over a thirty-year interval, encompasses satires, odes and political verse and displays the sexual, ethical and cultural problems with the realm round him, usually in very good traces and words that have develop into a part of our language at the present time.
Polished and refitted right into a new serious matrix, those essays by way of a special Faulkner editor and student on no account resemble the informal self-anthologizing frequently encountered. Polk's stature as a critic meshes smartly together with his paintings as an editor; his patent pleasure on the very sight of Faulkner manuscripts is inspiriting, and his professed dedication to Freudian readings is borne evenly (that is, expressed in brilliant, jargon-free discourse that's either witty and brilliant).
First released in 2005. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
- Finnegans Wake: Fifty Years.(European Joyce Studies 2)
- The Fear of French Negroes: Transcolonial Collaboration in the Revolutionary Americas (FlashPoints)
- The Commonplace Book: A Writer's Journey Through Quotations
- Bert and I: and Other Stories from Down East
- What Is Fiction For?: Literary Humanism Restored
Extra resources for A History of American Literature
A History of American Literature by Richard Gray